Animal Health Certificate Reminders

Feb 1, 2021 | Animal Owners, Companion Animal, Equine News, Livestock, News

By Gretchen May, DVM, Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection Division of Animal Health

A certificate of veterinary inspection, also known as a CVI or health certificate, is required for the interstate movement of most animals. A CVI serves as official documentation of animal movement to provide traceability in the event of a disease outbreak. When writing CVIs for your clients, be sure you are asking for and using the physical addresses from which the animals are coming and to which they are going. Do not use mailing addresses, including P.O. boxes, or the main address of a farm with multiple locations if the animals are not coming from or going to those locations.

Downloadable APHIS Form 7001 Not Approved for Interstate Movement

The downloadable APHIS Form 7001 titled “United States Interstate and International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals” is not approved for use by Wisconsin veterinarians for the purpose of interstate movement of animals or for import of animals into Wisconsin. This is because the form is freely available on the Internet to anyone without any accountability as to who receives or uses the forms.

The paper copies of APHIS Form 7001 previously provided in multipage carbon copy with a certificate number assigned from USDA were and are still approved for use. Although these are no longer available, you can continue to use previously provided supplies.

For interstate movement, the following options are currently available for small animal health certificates (CVIs):

For international movement, contact the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) at (608) 224-0630 for appropriate documentation. The downloadable APHIS Form 7001 should be used for international movement if directed to do so by USDA and the destination country.

For more information, contact Dr. Gretchen May at DATCP’s Division of Animal Health at (608) 224-4352.